Monday, May 18, 2009

Panther Beach Clean-Up - Sunday May 24th 4-6pm

One of my most favorite places to shoot is a little stretch of coast a little more than half way from Santa Cruz to Davenport along Highway 1. It is also a popular beach where people like to party. The somewhat steep trail requires too much effort for employees of the County of Santa Cruz to want to deal with permanent trash cans and their maintenance, so the trash tends to pile up on the beach.

It is frustrating and sad to witness such disrespect on such a wonderfully beautiful beach. As summer approaches, I can only imagine it will get worse. On my last visit there, just a few weeks ago, I carried up about 20 pounds of trash and recyclables. There was more, but being alone, I didn't want to spend my entire day on trash duty.

That is why I am writing this blog entry. This Sunday, May 24th from 4-6pm, I am organizing a group along with Ivan Makarov to help clean up Panther Beach. We will provide gloves and bags, but feel free to bring your own. We will comb the beach for two hours, then stick around to shoot photographs until sunset.

I hope you can join us, and I look forward to this being the first of a monthly event. If you plan to join, let me know how many people you are bringing and simply leave a comment on my blog for this entry. Thanks!

View a slideshow of my images from this beach for a glimpse at its rugged beauty.

5 comments:

  1. I've often wanted to shoot at Panther and perhaps this would be a good time to do that and help clean it up a bit. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud your efforts!! People can be so inconsiderate. How hard is it to carry a plastic bag with you and take your trash to a receptacle???!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aedmonds-

    Hope you can make it! Let me know if you need more specific directions.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job Jim, I would gladly show up and help but I am in Texas and thus can't make it. You are putting your money where your mouth is and that's admirable! I don't get why folks can't drink their beers and have fun AND clean up their mess!

    ReplyDelete